SIGGRAPH’s mission is to nurture, champion, and connect researchers and practitioners of Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques. Members of the EC are primarily responsible for oversight and strategic planning for ACM SIGGRAPH. EC members also serve as liaisons to the ACM SIGGRAPH Standing Committees, lead strategy teams, and serve as representatives to the conference advisory groups for the SIGGRAPH and SIGGRAPH Asia conferences. They attend 3-4 physical meetings per year, including the annual SIGGRAPH Conference as well as regularly scheduled (on average two to three per week) teleconference meetings for the Executive Committee and various sub-committees. The average workload is around 6-10 hours per week.
An ACM SIGGRAPH Director is a voting member of the Executive Committee who helps make decisions on behalf of ACM SIGGRAPH.
Expectations for all ACM SIGGRAPH EC members:
- Set the strategic direction for the organization to best support the community of researchers, practitioners, and artists working in computer and graphics and interactive techniques
- Promote technical and creative excellence, through taking an active role in the community as individuals
- Adhere to the cultural expectations of the organization
- Supervise the operational activities of the organization which include:
- Provide benefits for ACM SIGGRAPH members within the scope and financial resources of the organization
- Provide high-quality resources and programs (conferences, newsletters, etc.) within the scope of ACM SIGGRAPH’s mission statement
- Promote communication and interaction both within ACM SIGGRAPH and between ACM SIGGRAPH and the broader community
- Oversee conferences, symposia and workshops, both for quality and fiscal soundness
- Promote and publicize ACM SIGGRAPH achievements
Specific duties of Directors include:
- Take on two of the following jobs:
- Lead or actively participate in one of the five teams which are collectively responsible for the strategic work of the Executive Committee
- Act as a liaison to a group of 3-6 of the ACM SIGGRAPH Standing Committees
- Act as a liaison to one of the conference advisory groups (SIGGRAPH or SIGGRAPH Asia)
- Lead or actively participate in two calls/month for each of the groups selected from the above list
- Vote on important decisions affecting ACM SIGGRAPH strategy and operations
- Attend ACM SIGGRAPH Executive Committee meetings (both 3-4 in-person meetings per year and two hour-long calls/month)
- Some directors will also serve as Chair and Treasurer for one year during their term.
More information about the ACM SIGGRAPH Executive Committee can be found in Section 2 and about the Standing Committees and Strategy Groups in Section 6 of the ACM SIGGRAPH Policy Guidelines.
New ACM SIGGRAPH Bylaws took effect September 1, 2018 and we are in a transition period. When the term of the current Officers is over, new Officers will no longer be elected by the members but there will be nine Directors and the Officers will be selected from the Directors by the Executive Committee, with duties shown below. This means that new Directors may be asked to serve as one of the Officers.
Those interested in applying for any of these positions please contact Rebecca Strzelec.