ACM SIGGRAPH Membership,
I’d like to take a moment to thank one of our longstanding ACM SIGGRAPH members—Scott Owen, who has recently ended his tenure as Nominations Committee Chair in February. Scott will continue on as part of the Executive Committee Strategy Team and will be chairing the Governance Committee.
Scott, who served as Nominations Chair for six and a half years, is a valued, dedicated member of our SIGGRAPH team. He joined ACM SIGGRAPH more than 20 years ago and has since held many of our key roles, including Education Chair, Conference Chair and Executive Committee President (for two terms). He was Conference Chair in 1997 and that conference had more than 48,000 attendees, the largest SIGGRAPH to date. Under Scott’s leadership as EC President, SIGGRAPH Asia was established and he has represented ACM SIGGRAPH as part of ACM’s SGB. We thank you, Scott, for all of the thought, care, and time you’ve devoted to SIGGRAPH in through these volunteer roles; so much has been accomplished through your leadership and hard work.
Effective March 1, Rebecca Strzelec, an artist and professor of visual arts at Penn State Altoona, will be transitioning as incoming Nominations Committee Chair. Rebecca first got involved with ACM in 2003 as an artist in the SIGGRAPH art gallery and has also served as Conference Chair for SIGGRAPH. We look forward to working with Rebecca as she gets started with her first recruiting job – identifying a Diversity Chair to add to the ranks of our Standing Chairs.
President, SIGGRAPH Executive Committee
Summary of Scott Owen's work for ACM SIGGRAPH
- 1990-92 Chair of Education Committee (under Vice Chair of Operations)
- 1992-96 Director of Education (on EC)
- 1995-1998 Conference Chair SIGGRAPH 97
- 1997 CAG representative to the EC (There was no CAG Chair so the Conference Chair for that year served as a voting member of the EC)
- 2000-2004 CAG Chair
- 2005-2011 President
- 2011-2017 Chair External Relations Committee
- 2011-2018 Chair Nominations Committee
Scott's ACM Activities
- Member of SGB as ACM SIGGRAPH President 2005-2011
- Served two terms on the SGB EC, one while President and one after
- Served one term on ACM Council (the volunteer body one level above SGB – passes ACM budget. The Council includes the ACM EC)