All SIGGRAPH CD-ROM publications are multi-platform (Macintosh / Windows / UNIX) ISO-9660/Macintosh hybrid CD-ROMs, and follow the ISO-9660 Level 1 standard for maximum portability across platforms.
Certain guidelines must be followed when naming files and directories under the ISO 9660 standard:
* Filenames are limited to eight lower-case characters, a dot, and a three character extension. The extension is optional.
* Filenames must contain lower case letters, numbers and underscores.
* Directory names are limited to eight lower-case characters.
* Filenames and directory names cannot contain any other characters.
* Up to eight levels of subdirectory nesting are supported.
It is important that, for a complex project involving a number of external files -- a set of HTML documents, for example -- that the external files are named correctly and consistently. If an invalid filename is included in another document (an HTML link or an image imported by reference into a document, for example) and that file is subsequently renamed, the link will be broken.
The following examples show valid and invalid filenames: