New for SIGGRAPH 2009
- Beginning in 2009, Art Papers will be published in a special issue of Leonardo, The Journal of the International Society of the Arts, Sciences and Technology. This issue of Leonardo also documents SIGGRAPH 2009 BioLogic Art.
- Integration of the Sandbox Symposium. Starting in 2009, SIGGRAPH is specifically including contributions from videogame theorists, creators, producers, and players. The Sandbox Symposium is no longer a separate event but is integrated into the main SIGGRAPH conference: SIGGRAPH 2009 includes Game Papers, published in ACM Sandbox 2009 Proceedings, and a Sandbox area where attendees can explore game development and design.
- Real-Time Rendering in the Computer Animation Festival.
- Music & Audio. SIGGRAPH 2009 has a special focus on music and audio, including presentation of content in cooperation with the New Interfaces in Musical Expression (NIME) symposium.
- Visual Music in the Computer Animation Festival.
- Information Aesthetics Showcase. Works that combine information and data visualization with graphic design and media arts.
- Research Challenge. Teams present projects they've worked on to solve an announced challenge problem.
- GameJam!. An intense 24-hour competition in which teams design and implement a video game.
- Collectible Business Card Game. . A social game that helps you build your network, have fun, and learn a little about the game industry.
- Encounter SIGGRAPH. An all-new, high-tech interactive game that reveals all the conference highlights, testing your wits and skill and ensuring that you see SIGGRAPH like you've never seen it before.
And for those who were unable to attend SIGGRAPH 2008, at least three innovations introduced in 2008 are continuing in 2009:
- The curated Design & Computation Gallery. This year's theme is Generative Fabrication.
- A new format for the Computer Animation Festival that features day- and week-long passes to festival screenings and events. Computer Animation Festival passes are included with Full Conference registration, they can be added to other registration categories, and they can be purchased by the general public without registering for SIGGRAPH 2009.
- SpeedLab, a multi-disciplinary competition, in which teams are assigned a problem at the beginning of SIGGRAPH 2009, and they present their solutions to a panel of celebrity judges four days later. The judges select the winning teams and confer fame and prizes..