Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I find out if I need a visa to attend SIGGRAPH 2009?
- I need an invitation letter to apply for a visa. How can I request one?
- What kind of translation support can an international attendee or contributor receive at SIGGRAPH 2009?
- How can I find out if other people from my country or region are attending SIGGRAPH 2009?
- Is there an area in the International Center to hold interviews with the press, to give a presentation, or to have a meeting?
- I have a laptop with a wireless network card. Will I be able to connect myself to the internet at the New Orleans Convention Center?
- I am flying internationally. How early should I leave for the New Orleans airport when I depart?
- I am planning on arriving before the conference or staying on after the conference. What is there to do in New Orleans?
- I have never been to New Orleans before. Where can I find a map of the area?
- I have never been to the New Orleans Airport before. Where can I find information about the airport?
- How do I get from the New Orleans Airport to the convention center or downtown hotels?
- Where can I exchange currency?
- Where can I use credit cards or travelers checks in New Orleans?
- What time zone is New Orleans in?
- What is New Orleans' climate?
1. Where can I find out if I need a visa to attend SIGGRAPH 2009?
We provide basic visa information, but if you have specific questions that are not answered there, please see the US Department of State web site.
2. I need an invitation letter to apply for a visa. How can I request one?
You must register for SIGGRAPH 2009 before you can request or receive a letter of invitation. If you register online, the system will allow you to print your invitation letter after you register. If you register by postal or courier service or fax, you can request an invitation letter by contacting the SIGGRAPH 2009 International Resources Co-Chairs and providing your registration confirmation number.
Please contact the SIGGRAPH 2009 International Resources Co-Chairs if you have questions about the visa-invitation procedure.
3. What kind of translation support can an international attendee or contributor receive at SIGGRAPH 2009?
During the conference week, Student Volunteers and the SIGGRAPH 2009 International Resources Committee (who are fluent in many languages) are available to help with basic translation questions, along with answering questions and problems that may arise for attendees. However, the students are not available to act as personal interpreters for any of the conference programs.
4. How can I find out if other people from my country or region are attending SIGGRAPH 2009?
Prior to the conference, your local ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter may be able to help you. See the Chapters Directory to find out if there is a chapter in your local area. During the conference, the International Center is a good meeting place, as it is specifically designed to provide a safe and comfortable area to network and meet other international attendees. The International Center holds cultural events throughout the week. You can also leave messages on the Message Board asking other attendees from your country or region to meet you at a specific time in the International Center.
5. Is there an area in the International Center to give a presentation or to have a meeting?
Yes. To reserve the area for an interview, presentation, or meeting, please contact the Please contact the SIGGRAPH 2009 International Resources Co-Chairs in advance.
6. I have a laptop with a wireless network card. Will I be able to connect myself to the internet at the New Orleans Convention Center?
Wireless service will be available throughout the convention center during SIGGRAPH 2009.
7. I am flying internationally. How early should I leave for the New Orleans airport when I depart?
Most airlines now require that you check in around three hours in advance for international flights due to the increased security checks. You should contact your airline for more specific information.
8. I am planning on arriving before the conference or staying on after the conference. What is there to do in New Orleans?
Here are just a few suggestions of things to do while you are in New Orleans: Visit the French Quarter or Audubon Nature Institute (a Zoo, Aquarium, and more), ride on the New Orleans Streetcars, take a nice relaxing walk through Jackson Square or City Park. New Orleans also has 6 miles of shopping on Magazine Street, blocks and blocks of antiques and art on Royal, The Riverwalk, The Shops at Canal Place, The French Market, as well as several large malls so there is plenty of choice for shopping.
The French Quarter
The Ernest N Morial Convention Center
City of New Orleans
Lonely Planet: New Orleans
9. I have never been to New Orleans before. Where can I find a map of the area?
Big Easy Maps
The location of the Ernest N Morial Convention Center
10. I have never been to the New Orleans Airport before. Where can I find information about the airport?
Louis Armstrong International Airport (MSY) is the city's major airport. It is served by most major national and international airlines, so scheduling a flight to New Orleans should not be a problem. The airport's web site provides details about the airport's layout, along with arrival and departure times of scheduled flights.
11. How do I get from the airport to the convention center or downtown hotels?
New Orleans International Airport (MSY) is 18km (11mi) west of the city centre in Kenner. There are many transport options to and from the airport. For full directions please see the airport's web site
12. Where can I exchange currency?
There are many currency exchange facilities in New Orleans. Most banks exchange currency as do a number of travel centers in the city. Exchange services are more limited outside of New Orleans, and it's best to carry US-currency travelers checks or small amounts of US cash.
13. Where can I use credit cards or travelers checks in New Orleans?
New Orleans businesses accept most credit cards and US-dollar travelers checks. Some restaurants accept cash only. Some businesses may require a photo identification card (passport or other identification) before cashing travelers checks. If you are purchasing items while at SIGGRAPH 2009 (registration passes, tickets, merchandise, etc.), please note that we do not accept bank ATM cards or foreign currency. SIGGRAPH 2009 accepts only US currency or a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express).
14. What time zone is New Orleans in?
New Orleans is in the Central USA Time Zone, which is six hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). From Sunday 9 March 2009 until Sunday 2 November 2009, New Orleans observes Daylight Savings Time and turns all its clocks ahead one hour.
15. What is New Orleans' climate?
New Orleans enjoys a humid subtropical climate, with short, generally mild winters and hot, humid summers. In January, morning lows average around 43 F (6 C), and daily highs around 62 F (17 C). In July, lows average 74 F (23 C), and highs average 91 F (33 C).