SIGGRAPH 2008 & The Environment
ACM SIGGRAPH and the Los Angeles Convention Center are working together to reduce energy and resource consumption:
- The Los Angeles Convention Center is literally a "Green Community," both physically and environmentally. Fact Sheet
- Since 2006, the SIGGRAPH conference has been distributing its Advance Program as a PDF document only. This change eliminated the need to print and ship thousands of copies of a 40-page paper document.
- SIGGRAPH 2008 will recycle attendee badge holders and expo cards. Please deposit your badge holder in one of the convenient bins in the convention center.
- Paper materials will also be recycled after the conference: the Program & Buyer's Guide, the Conference Locator, and attendee and exhibitor materials. Please deposit used printed materials in one of the convenient bins in the convention center.
- All printed SIGGRAPH 2008 materials were printed on recycled paper certified through the Forest Stewardship Council (an organization that promotes responsible stewardship of the world's forests through certification of wood products from "well-managed" forests).
- SIGGRAPH 2008 signage is mostly digital, which significantly reduces printing and paper requirements for printed signs.
- SIGGRAPH 2008 shirts are 100% organic cotton (cotton grown without pesticides and processed without chemical bleaches and dyes).
- The SIGGRAPH 2008 baseball cap is 55% hemp and 45% organic cotton, and colored with eco-friendly reactive dyes.
- The SIGGRAPH 2008 merchandise bag is made of 30% recycled material, and the bag itself is recyclable.