Applying for XSV
In order to apply, you must complete two critical steps:
1. If you are eligible to participate, you must express your interest by submitting an online application form. This form requests some basic information about yourself and your previous involvement in the annual SIGGRAPH conference. It asks you to provide:
- A brief description of your Student Volunteer experience or any other SIGGRAPH involvement to date.
- A brief explanation of why you want to participate in the XSV apprentice program.
- A brief resume of your academic and professional activities.
- Your ordered preferences for the conference programs you would like to work with.
- What support or constraints you expect from your employer or family.
- How much time (average and peak) you can spend on SIGGRAPH-related volunteer service between January and August 2007.
- The names and contact information of your three references.
2. Ask three recent professors and your current employer, if any, to write a letter of recommendation for you and give them the unique URL generated in step 1. At that URL, they will access a web form where they can input their letter. They will also need to create a username and password for the system, if they do not already have one. If they already have a user account, there is no need to create a new one. They can use their existing account. After they submit the letter on the web form, it will be associated with your submission.
You need three letters of recommendation. As each letter is successfully completed and submitted, you will receive a confirmation email notice.
Things to consider when asking for a recommendation letter:
- You cannot write your own recommendation letter.
- Good recommendation sources include professors and employers who:
- Know you well
- Know your specific skills and interests with respect to computer graphics
- Can give a candid assessment of what it's like to work with you.
- Can communicate your level of commitment