The online submission system will be closed by Wednesday, 13 April 2005, 5 pm
Pacific time. All forms must be filled out and all materials must be successfully uploaded by
that time. The Sketches submission deadline will be strictly enforced. Please do not wait until the last
minute to upload your files. See Uploading Files for complete
Use this checklist to ensure that your submission is complete and that it meets all applicable
1. Create an online SIGGRAPH 2005 Sketches Submission Form
as soon as you decide that you will be submitting a sketch. (You can change your mind later.)
When you create this form, your entry will be assigned a Submission ID number, of the form
"sketches_0042," that will be used to identify your submission throughout the review process. Make a
record of this number. There will be some fields in this form that you cannot complete at this time.
You will go back and fill these in later.
2. Prepare a print-ready version of your sketch proposal. The document must be a one-page PDF file.
The document should be formatted according to the
publication guidelines for Sketches.
Prepare the document with the Submission ID alongside the printed title, for example:
"Rendering Hair (sketches_0239)." In all other ways, the document must be in final format.
Submissions that are more than one page long or that are improperly formatted will not be considered.
3. OPTIONAL: Non-native English speakers may use the
English Review Service to help
with the text of submissions. Please note that this takes time, so your submission should
be sent to the English Review Service well before the final Sketches deadline.
4. Prepare uploadable versions of your optional supporting materials:
5. Requested but not required: A JPEG thumbnail image to act as a visual reminder of the sketch.
The image you upload may be of any size, but it will be automatically resized to fit within 150 x
- Images: you may upload one or more images, which may be in any of these types:
JPEG (filename *.jpg)
TIFF (filename *.tif)
PNG (filename *.png)
GIF (filename *.gif)
- Video: you may upload one or more videos, which should be in any of these types:
MPEG (filename *.mpg)
AVI (filename *.avi)
QuickTime (filename *.mov)
Be sure to use an encoding that can be viewed on a wide variety of platforms, such as
MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Cinepak, or Sorensen. The total length of all videos should not
exceed five minutes.
- Document: you may upload one additional PDF file. The file should be at most
three pages long and should contain mostly captioned figures or tables.
The total size of all uploaded material should not exceed 40 Mbytes.
6. After your documents are complete, return to this web site and complete the
SIGGRAPH 2005 Sketches Submission Form.
The title that you enter in this form must exactly match that of the document. Make sure
that the category and keywords you enter in this form are appropriate for your submission.
7. After you begin the submission process, you will be able to upload your PDF file containing
the print-ready version of your sketch proposal described in 2 above, the optional support files
described in 4 above, and the thumbnail image described in 5 above. With slow or unreliable network
connections, uploading is not always smooth and easy. Please don't wait until the last minute to start
uploading your files. See Uploading Files
for complete information.
8. Some submitters may have arranged with the Sketches Chair to send support materials on physical media
(CD-ROM, DVD, NTSC VHS) by courier or postal service. Shipping instructions will have been
communicated individually, but remember that the items must be received by Wednesday, 13 April 2005,
5 pm Pacific time.
Finally, please review Sketches Frequently Asked Questions
for more tips and guidelines on how to prepare your sketch and what to submit.