Color and quality can vary greatly from slide submission to
printer and from printer to printer. It is important
that the final artwork reflect what the jury has seen.
This often requires using a professional printing service
to make your final print. Large-format printers invariably
deliver better results.
Suggested professional print output:
It is also important to have your final artwork professionally
framed and safely delivered.
- Iris prints
- Dye-sublimation prints
- Roland prints
Many beautiful artworks have arrived damaged because packaging
and framing were inadequate. When you build a crate to
ship your work, please follow these guidelines.
While sometimes costly, we recommend that you have
your work framed by a professional framer.
Pieces should be matted with archival white mats.
Frames should be strong enough to both structurally
and aesthetically support the work.
Work that arrives at SIGGRAPH 2005 in substandard
condition may be pulled from the show or reframed
at the chair's discretion. Due to time constraints,
artists will not be contacted before their work is
1. Measure framed piece.
Resong Board (from a local lumber yard) approximately
_ inches x 6 inches x 12 inches (or necessary length)
48-inch X 96-inch x 1-inch Dow Board (1 inch) or other
foam insulation board
1/8-inch plywood (luan) or paneling (whichever is
Example: 28 3/4 inches x 33 7/8 inches x 2 3/8 inches
2. Add _-inch clearance to height and width and _-inch
clearance to depth.
Example: 29 inches x 34 1/8 inches x 4 5/8 inches
3. Add 2 inches to new size.
Example: 31 inches x 36 1/8 inches x 4 5/8 inches
This is the interior size of the box.
4. Rip Resong to correct width (4 5/8 inches). Cut and
build box as shown in Diagram A. (Add _ inches to interior.)
Example: 31 inches + _ inches =31 _ inches x 4 5/8 inches
= 2 pieces
36 1/8 inches + _ inches =36 7/8 inches x 4 5/8 inches
= 2 pieces
5. Cut luan pieces, 2 @ 31 _ inches x 36 7/8 inches.
6. Build box using all-purpose screws to join and wood
7. Glue and nail luan to bottom (use 1 1/8-inch nails
8. Cut dow boards.
Use measurements from instruction #3 for height and width.
Example: 31 inches X 36 1/8 inches.
Use measurements from instruction #2 for sides.
Example: 2 3/8 inches x ? and subtract 1 inch from #3
measurements for strip length. Example: 2 3/8 inches x
30 (2 pieces) and 2 3/8 inches x 35 1/8 inches (2 pieces)
9. Cut linen strip 4 inches wide x approximately 10 inches
added to shortest interior side of box for pull-out strip.
10. Install foam into box.
11. Lay pullout strip inside and over edges.
12. Install framed art padding corners and sides (use
thin green packing foam strips or other thin packing material)
See Diagram B.
13. Install top piece of foam and attach top using _-inch
#6 Phillips screwdriver and drive wood screws and #6 finish
washers to close. (Space approximately 6 inches apart.)
14. Using a belt sander, ease together edges of box.
15. For ease in handling, 3-inch wide wooden "handles"
can be added. See Diagram B.