Candidate for Director of Chapters - Scott Lang
Candidate for Director of Chapters
The ACM SIGGRAPH Chapters are one of the most exciting and energizing parts of the ACM SIGGRAPH organization. As Director for Chapters, I would build upon the existing chapters structure while also working to align the chapters and their membership more closely with the organization. Items I would like to tackle include:
• Greater collaboration between the chapters and the organization.
There is a pilot project under discussion that would webcast chapter meetings and / or record them for future broadcast by a chapter or for download by ACM SIGGRAPH members. Partnerships such as these would benefit both ACM SIGGRAPH members and ACM SIGGRAPH chapter members.
• Expanded distribution of the work presented at our annual conference.
With support from the organization, I would like to give our chapters the opportunity to host our conference contributors (whether it be a paper, an animation, a course, an interactive installation, etc.) at chapter meetings. This would benefit the contributor by giving them another chance to present, and the chapter by providing them with content for a meeting.
• More joint efforts with the Education Committee.
The Chapters and Education Committees are two of the organization’s biggest entities yet there are very few cooperative ventures between these two groups. As Director, I would work with the ACM SIGGRAPH Director for Education to change this situation.
• International Awareness.
Now more than ever, the fields of computer graphics and interactive techniques are booming around the world. The ACM SIGGRAPH Chapters network is the perfect mechanism to support this growth. As Director, I would not only continue our support of both Professional and Student chapters outside the US but also help connect our chapters and organization membership with the many small conferences and symposia being held all over the globe.
• One ACM SIGGRAPH membership.
We need to streamline our two current types of memberships – organization and chapter - into one, easy-to-understand membership that allows both groups to share the same collection of benefits.
I have been involved with the ACM SIGGRAPH Chapters network for over 20 years. With your support, I will be able to put that experience to use as your next Director for Chapters. Thank you.
ACM SIGGRAPH Activities
ACM SIGGRAPH Chapters Committee
• Chapters Committee Member, 1995 – Present
• Chapters Outreach DVD Producer / Organizer, 2004 - Present
• Chapter Start-Ups Chair, 2000 – Present
• Director for Chapters, 1995 – 2000
• Chapters Development Workshop Founder, 1996
• Chapters / Student Volunteer Luncheon Organizer, 1993
• Chapters Booth Manager, 1991 – 1996
• Chapters Party Organizer / Co-Organizer, 1990 – Present
• Local Groups Steering Committee (pre-cursor to “Chapters Committee”, 1992 – 1994)
NYC ACM SIGGRAPH
• Board Member, 1988 – Present
• Vice-Chair, 2006 – Present
• Past-Chair, 2002 - 2006
• Chair, 1998 – 2002
• Treasurer, 1994 - 1998
• Treasurer / Secretary – 1988 – 1994
• Small Conferences Coordinator, 2005 – Present
• ACM SIGGRAPH Village Co-Chair, 2006 - Present
• Executive Committee, 1995 – 2000
• SIGGRAPH 2006 East Coast Outreach Co-Chair
• SIGGRAPH 2004 International Resources Chair
• Wrote Student Volunteer Program Review, 2002 – 2003
• SIGGRAPH 98 sigKIDS Co-Chair
• SIGGRAPH 98 Computer Animation Festival Committee
• SIGGRAPH 98 25th Anniversary Reception Organizer
• SIGGRAPH 94 sigKIDS Animation Festival Organizer
1996 – Present Video / Animation Instructor, Bergen County Academies, Hackensack, NJ
1989 – 1996 UNIS Media Lab Director, United Nations International School, New York, NY
B.S., Computer Science; Minor in Computer Graphics, 1988
New York Institute of Technology, Old Westbury NY