The SIGGRAPH Emerging Technologies Program Chair is responsible for the planning, selection process, and implementation of the annual conference Emerging Technologies program. The Emerging Technologies Program Chair works closely with the Conference Chair, the Conference Event Director, volunteers, and contractors to produce a demonstration of the latest in Emerging Technologies.
- team player that works well with others
- experience with project / fiscal management
- able to delegate responsibility and mentor team members as well as next year Emerging Technologies Chair counterpart
- able to assemble and motivate a subcommittee of volunteers to assist in submissions review, envisioning, venue design and implementation.
- deadline-driven; able to organize and respond quickly
- able to devote the necessary time
- well-versed in computer graphics and interactive techniques
- experience with past management of large interactive installations
- participated in a past SIGGRAPH Emerging Technology Programs as a contributor, juror and/or subcommittee member
The following list is a "high-level" view of the specific responsibilities associated with serving as a Emerging Technologies Program Chair. The list is organized under general categories of responsibility.
- Participate in strategic planning for the SIGGRAPH Conference
- Create a strategic direction for the Emerging Technologies Program including technical focus, emphasis areas, and new initiatives
- Recruit and manage a subcommittee to assist in administering the Emerging Technologies Program.
- Provide information to accepted contributors regarding shipping, timing, and requirements
- Work with subcommittee and space designer to design the Emerging Technologies program area
- Work with contractors to ensure on-site presentation facilities are appropriate
- Manage the on-site setup and presentation of Emerging Technologies Program pieces
- Work with the Conference Chair and Event Director to prepare preliminary and final conference budgets for the Emerging Technologies Program
- Manage the Emerging Technologies Program budget
- Develop the Emerging Technologies Program section of the Call for Participation
- Review copies all Publications that the Emerging Technologies Submissions appear in
- Assist the Contributor Coordinator in the collection of materials for the Full Conference CD-ROM.
- Report regularly to the Conference Chair and Event Director on the status of the Emerging Technologies Program
- Facilitate and participate in timely communication with the subcommittee and contributors to provide direction and solve problems
- Produce a final report by the wrapup meeting in Septmber describing the Emerging Technologies Program, changes from previous years, and lessons learned
- Attend and participate in all conference committees meetings
- Attend the Unified Jury meeting to select the best demonstrations of creative technology