ACM SIGGRAPH Executive Committee January 2003 Meeting

San Diego, California, January 18, 2003

Attending
Judy Brown
Alain Chesnais
Gudrun Enger
Thierry Frey
Werner Hansmann
Barb Helfer
Masa Inakage
Erica Johnson
Jacki Morie
Scott Owen
Garry Paxinos
Dino Schweitzer
Stephen Spencer

Guests
Tony Baylis
Ann Eakes
Alyn Rockwood

The meeting was called to order by President, Alain Chesnais at 8 AM.

Conference call minutes

Motion
(Brown Spencer) To approve the minutes from the October Executive Committee conference call

Approved
(10,0,0)

Motion (
Brown, Helfer) To approve the minutes from the three Executive Committee conference calls in December and January.

Approved
(10,0,0)

Review of the final S2003 budget

I
t is felt that San Diego is an ideal conference city and will provide the California market. Assumptions are as follows:

1.) Attendance is predicted to fall between the SIGGRAPH 2001 and SIGGRAPH 2002 attendance numbers.

2.) Space sales are predicted to decline significantly from both SIGGRAPH 2001 and SIGGRAPH 2002. Current space sales are predicted to be 65,000square feet, a 20% decrease from SIGGRAPH 2002 space sales.

Expenses have been cut to $1.1 Million less than the SIGGRAPH 2002 actual expenses, and $3.1 Million less than the SIGGRAPH 2001 actual expenses. The conference will be shortened by one day, and the number of session rooms is capped at ten. All contractors took a minimum 10% contract cut, and the cut was significantly more in many cases. One situation that is affecting the conference is the increasing number of submissions in all of the programs. This requires more work on the part of the volunteers and more staff support.

The art show will all be two-dimensional this year. Audio-visual and decorations have been reduced. One reception and all coffee breaks have been cancelled. The vortechs program will use the area under the sail to provide the space for personal networking and fun activities.

Internet access rooms will be replaced with email kiosks, and we will be emphasizing the use of wireless laptops, since the convention center has great wireless access. Bussing service has been reduced, and marketing is primarily electronic, with fewer printed pieces and more reliance on the web. The pathfinders program has been eliminated for this year.

There is a contingency plan that relies on good accounting with three re-evaluation points: the February exhibitor deadline, the April exhibits update, and the June registration cutoff. The additional expenditure reductions prepared totals $300,000.

The rental fee for the convention center has gone up in the last year, but we negotiated and got some money back. This year, we have to rent the civic theater.

In the income area, we are looking at the possibility of raising registration fees, and the exhibition price has increased by one dollar to $35 per square foot..

Two years ago, the Executive Committee tentatively approved the strategic outreach program, with the amount to be approved each year as part of the budget, and requiring an evaluation of the previous year(s). The funds for SIGGRAPH 2003 will go primarily to emerging technology and to support the web graphics program. The total requested for SIGGRAPH 2003 is $98,500.

The current session room matrix is to have two large rooms, and the rest will be smaller rooms. Last year there were three large rooms. The opening session and keynote are on Monday, and papers also start that day.

Motion
(Owen, Frey) To approve the SIGGRAPH 2003 budget.

Approved
(10,0,0)Alyn Rockwood and his committee were thanked for all their efforts in putting together this budget. Alyn thanked the committee for their support.

There was a discussion on the pricing of consignments, especially the DVD ROM. A uniform pricing model for all ACM SIGGRAPH publications was approved by the Executive Committee on April 10, 2002. This model is to set the price of publications for members to cover cost and overhead expenses, with non-members paying 150% of the member price. This means the cost of the DVD would be $20 for members, $30 for non-members. However, when the conference decided to put everything on a DVD, and not have printed publications, it means a drop in total cost of publications from $340 to $20 or $30. It was felt that this low cost would devalue conference materials. A low price assumes perceived low value. A smaller group is to discuss this and set a price.

Demonstration of SIGGRAPH 2002 Online

Barb Helfer gave an excellent demonstration of the SIGGRAPH 2002 Online materials. It includes a catalog editor, with different values for things like courses or special sessions. There are different background colors for identity purposes. The software is included when the site is built. The program is compliant with W3 standards, and it can be customized. Slide narration has the ability to automatically advance the slides. PowerPoint and PDF are available. They now have 50% of the slides from SIGGRAPH 2002. These have been sent to ACM.

Demonstration of Soma Media

Gudrun Enger presented a proposal by this company to produce DVDs and online materials for SIGGRAPH's community. There were many questions raised about the process, copyright issues, value of the material, and ownership of the material.

Review of the Fiscal Year 2004 Budget for ACM SIGGRAPH

The Treasurer, Garry Paxinos, presented projected income from ACM that is based on member dues and publications sales. We had been discussing our individual budgets through conference calls over the past two months, and all programs cut their budgets by about 30%.

Motion (Paxinos, Brown) To approve the FY 2004 budget.

Approved (10,0,0)

Graphic Identity Task Force

This task forces consists of Gudrun Enger, Thierry Frey, Dena Slothower, Sheila Hoffmeyer, Jamie Mohler, and Scott Owen. They are investigating a graphic identity that would work for both the organization and conferences, with slight modification for the conference from year to year.

Role of Executive Committee members

There was a brief discussion of the importance for all Executive Committee members to contribute to the various discussions. It is important to get multiple opinions and ideas into the discussion and not to be fearful of having a differing opinion. This time was also used for the two candidates for treasurer to ask questions about finances.

Changeover from old to new Executive Committee members.

It can be very difficult for newly elected officers to know what they need to do when they are elected just shortly before the annual conference. This year we knew election results early, and there were things that didn't go well at the conference because the outgoing officers were left out of the loop on the questions. Also, the conference database was not updated from the year before. In order to provide continuity, we need to make sure that outgoing officers are involved. Newly elected people cannot know everything that has been happening in the past year or what they need to do immediately. We can't change the beginning of our terms of office, but we can determine how we handle the changeover. It doesn’t make sense that one works on something all year, and then right before the conference, turns over authority. In most offices, a handover during the conference makes more sense. Also, the job manuals that each Executive Committee member is supposed to write will be useful, as well as having the new and outgoing officers spend some time together during the conference.

Policies for the Online Industry Directory

The conference has put up an online industry director. There were questions about whether this directory was reserved for our conference contributors and whether it contained outdated material. There was also a discussion of whether this should have member-only access. It was decided that it would have less value to the industries listed if that were the case.

Action Item:
Scott Owen to check on the questions above.

Email aliases on siggraph.org

Gudrun Enger presented a proposal for a consistent naming scheme for aliases on siggraph.org.

Motion
(Enger, Frey) To approve the email alias policy that is appended to these minutes.

Approved
(10,0,0)

Annual meeting

There was a brain storming session on what to do in the booth for our yearly meeting this year. Past meetings styles were discussed, and multiple options were suggested, including having the meeting as a reception, having fortune cookies, and pre-marketing the event on the website. The scheduling needs to be reconsidered since we usually have this meting Thursday noon, and the conference will now finish on Thursday.

Action Item: Gudrun Enger to explore options for the meeting and make recommendations during the next conference call.

There was also a discussion on having better interaction with our local ACM SIGGRAPH volunteers in the various cities where we hold our meetings.

Chapters Party

Thierry Frey, Director for Chapters, discussed the status and options for the chapters party to take place at SIGGRAPH 2003.

Meeting adjourned at 5 p.m.
 

Appendix – Approved Email Policy

1) EC, CAG, organizational positions, and conference committee positions are automatically given "position" aliases related to their position ( such as president, chair-2003, etc. These aliases will continue to be maintained on our local siggraph.org machine with pointers to them from ACM's mail server. EC ad CAG members will automatically be given "personal" e-mail aliases( assuming they do not already have one ). Automatic "personal" alias may be created for Conference Program Chairs if so desired by the CAG although a preferred solution is for the chairs to be SIGGRAPH members and obtain member aliases

2) All organizational and conference related "personal" aliases will have a format of firstname_lastname@siggraph.org. These aliases are to be requested through any EC member, CAG member, or the Information Director. Any EC or CAG member may delegate alias approval authority to program or subcommittee chairs as they see fit. However, I'd recommend that SIGGRAPH aliases not be given out to people below the program or subcommittee chair positions and instead have those people become SIGGRAPH members.

3)An individual with an organizational or conference "personal" alias may request an additional "personal" alias besides their standard one (such as lastname@siggraph.org)

4) All organizational "position" aliases will be updated as new people take those positions. Conference "position" aliases will be removed in December of the conference year. All organizational and conference "personal" aliases will be terminated 1 year after a person's term of office or conference role is finished unless that person remains a SIGGRAPH member and wishes to keep the alias.

5) SIGGRAPH members are allowed to select any member alias on a first-come basis. It is intended to tie these aliases into the membership database. Eventually we would like to have these totally handled by ACM. A person would then get a siggraph.org address in the same fashion as they currently can get an acm.org alias. Will plan on following ACM policies as to when these addresses become invalid

6) Any organizational or conference personal alias (standard or alternate) can be maintained provided the individual is a SIGGRAPH member. However, only one alias will be maintained( We may be able to keep both standard and non-standard according to ACM. Thus one might be able to keep both firstname_lastname@siggraph.org and lastname@siggraph.org ).

7) The sysmgrs group will be responsible for maintaining a database of accounts and aliases for tracking purposes. They will also be responsible for seeing that items are deleted as appropriate The net result of this policy is that only currently active SIGGRAPH volunteers and members will have siggraph.org aliases. It might make sense to maintain some old legacy aliases such as those for award winners or other positions, but I would like to keep that number relatively small.

The following procedure will be used to initiate this change:

1) Current and past year EC, CAG, organizational position, and conference committee position aliases will be maintained. Primary source of information to be the SIGGRAPH directory

2) All other aliases will be sent e-mail stating the new alias policies. If they fall under a pre-approved category then their aliases will be maintained. If they are not currently active in the organization or conference, then they will have the opportunity to maintain one alias provided they are a SIGGRAPH member. If so they will be asked to provide their membership number.

3) If a person is not active and not a member, then their alias will be deleted.

4) Individuals will be allowed to appeal their deletion to the Director for Communications or other designated personnel.