SIGGRAPH Executive Committee meeting

May 17-18, 1997
Rochester, New York

Attending:
Steve Cunningham
Chuck Hansen
John Hart
Scott Lang
Scott Owen
Theresa-Marie Rhyne
Nan Schaller
Dino Schweitzer
Stephen Spencer
Mary Whitton

Absent:
Marc Barr
Alain Chesnais

ACM:
Patrick McCarren
Judy Osteller

Guests:
Judy Brown
Bob Ellis
Bonnie Mitchell
Ken O'Connell

The meeting was called to order by Steve Cunningham at 9:00 A.M.

There was a discussion on including position statements in minutes. It was decided not to do this at this time, and the draft minutes were amended to reflect this decision. There was a further question on proxy votes, and it was noted that we have no policy on these.

Motion: Approve minutes of the February Executive Committee meeting as amended.
Whitton, Schaller 8,0,0

EMAIL BALLOT ON CONFERENCE MANAGEMENT

The Conference Advisory Group (CAG) recommended changing the conference management contract with Smith, Bucklin and Associates (SBA) to provide additional support staff for six months. CAG recommended the addition of an assistant conference manager and a bookkeeper at Capstone Management Group (CMG), and one staff person at SBA to provide additional CAG support. Owen moved (Hansen second) a substitute motion: to provide the addition of an assistant conference manager and a bookkeeper at CMG for six months. This substitute motion was accepted and was then approved.

Votes to accept the substitute motion:
Barr, Hart, Hansen, Owen, Lang, Rhyne, Schaller, Spencer
(no vote recorded from Chesnais or Whitton)
Votes for the substitute motion: 10,0,0

SIGGRAPH/SIGCOMM COLLABORATION

Theresa-Marie Rhyne reported on the collaboration between SIGGRAPH and SIGCOMM. There will be a course on networking at SIGGRAPH 97 and a Computer Graphics course at SIGCOMM '97. The course at SIGCOMM will have four speakers; SIGGRAPH Special Projects will fund travel for one speaker, the SIGCOMM organization will fund travel for two speakers, and SIGCOMM '97 will fund travel for one speaker.

VRML CONSORTIUM

SIGGRAPH had requested an observer to the VRML Consortium Board, which is now in place. Andy Van Dam and Don Brutzman are on the board and feel that this board is too young at the present time to have a SIGGRAPH observer attend their meetings.

ANNUAL CONFERENCES

SIGGRAPH 96

Dino Schweitzer reported that the SIGGRAPH 96 audit is now complete. CAG is reviewing the audit to see what changes in procedures should be made for future conferences. Funds have been wired to ACM.

SIGGRAPH 97

Scott Owen reported that S97 has record-breaking numbers of submissions. Exhibit space is 173,000 sq. ft. There will be an On-Line Career Center, and companies in the career center will have a web site link. A permanent network has been installed at the Los Angeles Convention Center; this will be in place for SIGGRAPH 99. SIGGRAPH TV will have a virtual studio on site and will broadcast 50 hours of content, mostly within the conference, but Friday's broadcast will be worldwide via a PBS satellite link. The Community Outreach program will bring in some 600 students, all over the age of 16.

SIGGRAPH 98

Dino Schweitzer reported that Coco Conn has resigned and Janet McAndless will be taking over Emerging Technology. The Call for Participation is being developed and will go to print in June. SIGGRAPH 98 will continue the Creative Application Laboratory and expand the Community Outreach program. The 25th conference celebration theme will be seen throughout the conference. SIGKIDs will be returning to SIGGRAPH 98.

FUTURE SITES

Schweitzer reported that SIGGRAPH 2000 is considering New Orleans and Atlanta. For 2001, construction delays in San Diego make that city no longer feasible; Anaheim and Las Vegas are being considered. Toronto was considered for 2002, but exhibitors made it clear that they would face serious difficulties moving equipment across the border. The choices for 2002 are San Antonio and whichever of New Orleans or Atlanta that does not get 2000.

CONFERENCE MISSION STATEMENT

CAG presented a conference mission statement for consideration. Schaller commended the CAG's effort of putting the Mission Statement together.

Motion: Move to accept the SIGGRAPH Conference Mission Statement with the friendly amendment that the CAG will take wordsmithing suggestions under advisement.
Owen, Schweitzer 8,0,0

This Mission Statement will be published in the next issue of Computer Graphics as well as other appropriate places..

CONTRIBUTOR RECOGNITION GUIDELINES

CAG presented a set of conference recognition guidelines for consideration. These are guidelines rather than policies so they can respond to changes with each conference. CAG did not present the section on subcommittees because this was still not completed.

Motion: Move that EC accept SIGGRAPH Contributor Recognition Guidelines. EC-recommended modifications will be taken to CAG for consideration.
Owen, Schweitzer 8,0,0

SOCIETY ISSUES

Mary Whitton reported on ACM Society issues. The SIG Board is recommending that the Presidential Committee, chaired by Stu Zweben, move forward with the Society idea and establish a Task Force to look at the financial impact.

COMMUNICATIONS

John Hart reported on the membership program that the Communications Committee is developing. He noted that SIGGRAPH exists to serve the Computer Graphics community and cannot provide everything to every member. He suggested that membership should be open to everyone in the Computer Graphics community and that we should provide services that will benefit any member. Right now the services we offer to members are primarily publications.

Hart also updated the EC on the SIGGRAPH movie project that is intended to raise the public's awareness of Computer Graphics. Hart reported that the current project budget is $1.3 million dollars and suggested that this may be too much for a documentary. Owen was concerned about these costs. Hart will work to get the budget down by checking with SONY on how costs would be shared. Chuck Hansen said he did not have enough information to put a dollar figure on what is appropriate to spend from the reserve fund. Hart reported they would like to start shooting at SIGGRAPH 97.

ONLINE ISSUES

Bonnie Mitchell reported that seven volunteers have been working on the SIGGRAPH Web site. Work areas included career resources, art and design resources with artist profiles, and the Education Directory. A more recent project is putting on the SIGGRAPH Art Show Calendar, and work is underway on the SIGGRAPH 96 and SIGGRAPH 97 Art Shows.

PUBLICATIONS

Steve Spencer reported that the technical community has wanted the Proceedings to contain only the conference papers. Similarly, the art community would like a true Art Gallery Catalog for the artistic venues. This led to the concept of expanding the conference documentation to include a third volume with a slight rearrangement of contents:
1. Conference Proceedings - accepted research papers and awards
2. Conference Catalog - Art show and Computer Animation Festival
3. Conference Record - panels, sketches, educators program and interactive venues

This addresses the concerns of two very important parts of the computer graphics community by creating more focused publications. The third publication allows us to change the way we document certain programs. For example, moving the Educators Program content from Computer Graphics and its own CD-ROM publication into the Conference Record gives the newsletter more room to change as suggested by the Membership Task Force, and documents this program in a more appropriate manner.

MOTION: Move that EC approve the publication of the Papers and Awards notices for the annual conference in a separate volume.
Whitton, Hart 8,0,0

There was discussion of whether panels should be included in this publication. An amendment that would direct this inclusion was not passed:
Amendment: That panels be included in the papers and awards SIGGRAPH Conference Publication
Rhyne, Owen, 3, 4 (Hansen, Hart, Spencer, Whitton), 1 (Lang)

Finally, there was a motion on the entire set of publications for SIGGRAPH 98.

MOTION: To produce the three books as proposed for SIGGRAPH 98
Spencer, Whitton 5, 0, 3 (Rhyne, Schaller, Lang)

The Director for Publications was requested to investigate the possibility of returning the Conference Proceedings (papers/awards) to the numbered Computer Graphics publication series and to report to the Executive Committee at its Fall meeting. The Director for Publications and Director for Communications were requested to analyze the impact of the three volume conference proceedings on member benefits and cost and to make a recommendation to the Executive Committee at its Fall meeting.

POLICY AND PROCEDURES

Steve Cunningham distributed the existing set of Policies and Procedures (P&P) and asked each member of the EC to update the P&P for their individual areas, as they have to be on file at ACM HQ. The P&P should be reviewed at least once a year.

ACM DIGITAL LIBRARY PROJECT

Steve Cunningham discussed the ACM Digital Library (DL) Project that will make available online electronic publications that ACM or SIGs produce. People who are members of a SIG can have access to their SIG's material; people who are subscribers to a journal can have access to that journal online, as well. A person who is a member of ACM can pay additional fees and have access to the Digital Library. ACM plans to offer an institutional membership which would grant a certain fixed number of simultaneous accesses registered with ACM. Cunningham reported that he was unhappy with some aspects of the way the DL treats SIG publications, and told ACM he would take this to the Executive Committee for a decision.

Cunningham asked the EC to consider the following questions:

* How strongly does SIGGRAPH believe that our various conference proceedings should be available online somewhere?
* How strongly does SIGGRAPH believe that back issues of our various conference proceedings should be available through the ACM DL
* How strongly does SIGGRAPH believe that current issues of our various conference proceedings should be available through the ACM DL
* Does SIGGRAPH believe our current proceedings should be available to persons who are not SIGGRAPH members? If so, under what conditions should this be permitted
* Does SIGGRAPH believe our back proceedings should be available to persons who are not SIGGRAPH members? If so, under what conditions should this be permitted
* Does SIGGRAPH believe our proceedings should be available to institutional subscribers to the ACM DL?

EC decided that SIGGRAPH publications should be included in the Digital Library, but SIGGRAPH has a long-term concern about SIGs maintaining control of their intellectual property and receiving appropriate compensation for its distribution through the Digital Library. SIGGRAPH is willing to waive receiving such compensation until July 1, 1998 with the understanding that ACM will make a careful study of usage patterns of both SIG and non-SIG publications and will prepare a reasonable plan for income sharing with the SIGs by that date for consideration of the SIG Board. SIGGRAPH is willing to have both back and current issues of materials included in the Digital Library. In making this agreement, it is the EC's general assumption that the model for compensating SIGs for including our materials in the Digital Library will be based on traditional print publications:

* all members of a SIG will have access to that SIG's materials on a basis set by the SIG
* a SIG will receive compensation for direct sales of that SIG's materials and each SIG will receive some proportion of the revenue on each general subscription.

SPECIAL PROJECTS

Oscar Garcia and Mike McGrath prepared an application form, now on the web, which people can use for proposals. A promotional brochure will be mailed out to all SIGGRAPH 96 conference contributors and will be available in Los Angeles. This promotion is expected to bring in more good proposals. Special projects awarded this past year: the Mexico City University collaboration, SIGGRAPH/SIGCOMM collaboration, the Carto Project: Integrating Computer Graphics and Spatial Data, and the SIGGRAPH Publications Outreach Program. Committee members are Oscar Garcia, Mike McGrath, Bob Powell and Judy Brown.

Judy Brown discussed the SVR Special Project request from Tom DeFanti for $60,000 to hire the Judson Rosebush Company to prepare a history of animation of the 1970's. This would be about four hours of video. The Special Projects Committee feels that this is a very worthy and important project for SIGGRAPH and its community.

MOTION: Move to approve the SVR Special Issue on Animation of the 1970's as proposed by the SIGGRAPH Special Projects Committee.
Lang, Whitton 8,0,0

MOTION: That the SVR special issue be funded, with a recommendation that as much funding as possible come from the FY 97 Special Projects budget and the remainder come from the SVR free balance.
Hart, Schaller 8,0,0

PUBLIC POLICY

Judy Brown reported that the Public Policy Committee is in the final stages of preparing the white paper on Computer Graphics and the GII. A white paper on research topics is also being developed.

A Policy Makers Seminar is being planned for SIGGRAPH 97, with invitations going to U.S. Senators and Representatives from California and to technical liaisons with various embassies. The Seminar is contingent on sufficient numbers of persons signing up, but the goal is to educate decision-makers on the nature and impact of computer graphics and its implications for future policy issues.

Bob Ellis spoke about the ACM Public Policy conference in Washington, DC in May 1998, chaired by Ben Shneiderman. This will include workshops and panels that focus on specific policy topics. Ellis suggested that there are things SIGGRAPH could contribute and would like to get SIGGRAPH issues and speakers into the conference. Judy Brown suggested a possible tie-in with the Smithsonian, as SIGGRAPH is advising them with videos for their updates of the Information Age exhibition, and asked EC for suggestions of how this can be coordinated with the Public Policy meeting.

There will be a public policy committee meeting at SIGGRAPH 97 and a public policy meeting Thursday afternoon.

OTHER

Steve Cunningham announced that Chuck House, ACM President, and Mary Jane Irwin, ACM Vice President, will attend SIGGRAPH 97 and will be invited to the public policy meetings, as Chuck House has an interest in this.

DONATIONS AND SPONSORSHIP

Nan Schaller reported her findings on sponsorships. Hall-Erickson, the exhibit management company, continually receives requests from companies to be more a part of the SIGGRAPH Conference. Schaller indicated that Hall-Erickson would like to have a comprehensive sponsorship policy to handle such requests. Schweitzer reported CAG's policy is not to accept sponsorship for things we would normally be doing.

Scott Owen suggested that if the EC could come up with a set of guidelines primarily focused on EC activities, it would help CAG come up with a set of guidelines for the conference. CAG originally asked for guidance about what to sponsor and what not to sponsor.

EDUCATION COMMITTEE

Scott Owen reported for Marc Barr that the scientific visualization committee had a three-day meeting in Denver, attended by Gitta Domik, Ken Brodlie, Georges Grinstein, Mike McGrath, Scott Owen, and Tom Hewitt. The committee is developing a significant document about visualization curricula. This is the education committee's most extensive curriculum development project. It will be an 18-month effort, but will produce a document that will be presented to all SIGGRAPH members, as well as put on the web.

PORTRAITS OF COMPUTER GRAPHICS

The Computer Museum has a project which has identified individuals who have made major contributions to computing, who are still alive and can be photographed, and created photos of them and descriptions of their work that are archived at the Computer Museum. The photographer is Chip Bachrach. Some computer graphics people are on that list. Bert Herzog would like to do a similar Computer Museum project, "Portraits of Computer Graphics," with the computer graphics community. We have agreed to give Herzog some assistance for photography at SIGGRAPH 97, and photographs will also be taken in Europe. These photographs will be available for SIGGRAPH 98 as part of the history exhibition.

MOTION: Adjourn at 12:15PM
Owen, Whitton 8,0,0