1. When is the deadline to submit applications to the Student Volunteers Program?
The deadline for all completed Student Volunteers applications is fixed at 3 July 2012, 23:59 UTC/GMT. You are encouraged to submit early to allow time for unforeseen circumstances that may delay your submission, including problems with your Internet connection. Incomplete submissions will not be considered and all submissions must be made online.
2. How will SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 address network failures?
SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 is only responsible for the availability of the submission server. If the Student Volunteers Program Chair is notified of a hardware or service failure in the submission system, he will authorize an appropriate adjustment and inform applicants via the SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 website. All other network failures between your location and the SIGGRAPH server will not exempt you from the deadline. Note that the local clock on the submission server determines the final submission deadline time.
3. When and how will I be notified if I have been accepted?
All applicants who submit a completed application will be notified via email by 31 August 2012. Team leaders will be notified approximately one week prior to this.
1. Am I expected to speak English?
Most definitely. Applicants must be able to converse in English fluently. Of course, knowledge of other languages adds value to your application.
2. How do I apply to be a Team Leader?
The application for becoming a Team Leader is part of the application form you submit to be a Student Volunteer. There is a section on the application form devoted to this topic.
3. In my application, I indicated that I need housing and agreed to work 24 hours. Will accommodation automatically be awarded to me?
No, unfortunately not all applicants who request for housing can be provided with accommodation due to tight capacities. However, the committee will try to house as many international SVs as possible.
4. My email address will be changing soon. How can I notify you of the update?
You can change your contact information using the online system at any time.
5. I have submitted the online form, but it still allows editing. Am I done?
Yes and you may continue editing it until the submission deadline.
1. I am a Student Volunteer working 24 hours and I am receiving complimentary hotel accommodation. However, I will arrive a day early at the conference. Can I get an extra night of accommodation?
No. Decisions on complimentary housing are final and cannot be negotiated.
2. I have been accepted as a Student Volunteer, but I'm no longer able to attend the conference. Who should I notify?
If you need to decline your position for any reason, please send an email to the Student Volunteers Chair as soon as possible so that we can make alternative arrangements.
3. What should I wear during the conference?
Lightweight, comfortable clothes and shoes (appropriate t-shirts, polo shirts, shorts, jeans, trousers, and sneakers). Many attendees dress casually during the conference, and formal business attire is generally not required. Note that this is a professional conference and thus, if you are not sure if something is appropriate or not, please ask.
4. What are my working hours like?
Depending on the duties assigned, Student Volunteers may have shifts that start as early as 7am and end at 7pm. However, there are shifts that do run later. Some Student Volunteers may have schedules that run as late as 11 pm.
5. What is a Student Volunteer expected to do during the conference?
There are numerous tasks to be done by Student Volunteers, including checking passes at venue entrances and assisting at registration counters. All these tasks play a very important role towards the success of the conference.
6. What is a Team Leader expected to do during the conference?
Team Leader’s tasks, on top of the usual Student Volunteer tasks, include managing Student Volunteers in their respective areas and coordinating volunteer duties with the SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 Committee members. Team Leaders also aid in training and supervising Student Volunteers, as well as assisting committee members and attendees.
7. Can I bring personal items and bags to the convention center?
Yes. The Student Volunteers’ office will reserve an area for Student Volunteers to keep their personal items. However, do note that SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 Conference Committee will not be responsible for any lost or stolen items.
8. What should I do if I am dismissed early from my shift?
You should inform your Team Leader and then report to the Student Volunteers’ office. If you cannot find your Team Leader, please report directly to the Student Volunteers’ office.
1. Are cameras allowed in the conference?
SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 does not allow cameras or recording devices. You can take your camera to the receptions, but cameras are not permitted in the convention center unless you have an approved media pass.
2. Will I be able to experience some of the exhibits and other conference events?
Yes. As one of the perks of being a Student Volunteer, you will have the equivalent of a Full Conference registration, so you will be able to go almost anywhere in the conference. The exhibition hall and most of the conference will be open to you during your free time.
3. My question is not in these FAQs. Who should I ask?
Please send an email to the Student Volunteers Chair and he will reply to you within two hours. Should your question apply to other Student Volunteers as well, we will post your question, the answer to it, and other additional information on the web site.