Emerging Technologies: Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will SIGGRAPH Asia 2009 pay for shipping my work?
No. If your work is accepted, you are responsible for crating, shipping, and insurance.
2. Should I send video documentation of my piece?
Yes, if at all possible. Video documentation is highly recommended. Time-based documentation is the best way to illustrate how conference attendees will actually experience your project. We may also use the video in publicity for Emerging Technologies.
3. May I submit my unfinished work as a "work in progress" if it is not complete by the submission deadline?
A work in progress may be submitted if it represents a large portion of the final version. Please explain in detail what additions will be made prior to the installation. You will need to convince the jury that your work will be ready for exhibition in time for the conference.
4. I am an artist with an interactive art installation. Will my submission be considered?
Interactive art works should be submitted directly to the Art Gallery.
5. Will I have to do a formal presentation of my work at SIGGRAPH Asia 2009?
Yes, every accepted Emerging Technologies exhibit will be accompanied by a presentation advertised in the conference program.
6. I'm having trouble uploading the high-resolution digital image required for online submission. What should I do?
If, due to bandwidth restrictions, you cannot upload a high-resolution image or supplemental movies, please instead upload a lower-resolution version. If we need to include a higher-resolution version for jury review or publication stills, we will contact you to make arrangements.
7. My email address will be changing soon. How can I notify you of the update?
You will be able to change your email address in the online submission system.
8. I've completed the online submission forms, but the system still allows me to edit my account. Am I done?
Yes. But you are allowed to edit your online submission account until the deadline: 5 June, 23:59 UTC/GMT.
9. Can I submit a paper, sketch, poster, or other work in addition to my Emerging Technologies proposal? Can I submit an Emerging Technologies proposal if the work has already been presented at a previous SIGGRAPH conference?
Yes. For instance, you might want to submit a sketch that details a particular technical aspect of your exhibit, or you could submit a demonstration based on a paper published at a previous SIGGRAPH conference. Be sure to list these related submissions in your proposal and make clear how your Emerging Technologies proposal expands on and is different from these. You should also be aware that all accepted Emerging Technologies exhibits will be accompanied by a talk at SIGGRAPH Asia 2009 (see question 5 above), so an additional talk might not be necessary.
10. If I don't need to ship my equipment, and I can carry it in with me, do I need to provide shipping documents?
If you want to carry your equipment into the convention center, please contact the Emerging Technologies Chair for detailed information on how to make appropriate arrangements. More information on this topic will be available here later.