Minutes of the June 2006 EC Meeting
Saturday, June 3-4, 2006
BCEC and Seaport Hotel
Attendance: Rick Barry, Jim Kilmer, Jeff Jortner, Alain Chesnais, Scott Owen, Rob Cook, Erica Johnson, Colleen Case, Mk Haley, Tony Baylis, Alyn Rockwood, Masa Inakage, Jackie White, Thierry Frey , Gregg Talley
Absent: Stephen Spencer
The meeting was called to order at 9:00AM. (Owen)Welcome and Introductions
Welcome of new EC members: Rick Barry, Jim Kilmer and Jeff Jortner.
Thanks to Alain for posting election results to siggraph.org
Reminder of the policy that outgoing members of EC receive the same benefits as EC members at the SIGGRAPH Conference and are expected to work and assist in officer transition during the conference week.
Acknowledgement and congratulations to Scott Owen on his election to the SGB EC as a Director at Large.
Alain Chesnais reviewed the structure of the SGB and its governing process.
Review of Agenda
CAG Business (White)
Mk is going to replace Bill Kovacs as 2007 Program Chair for the IP Auction Marketplace Event. The program will continue to include Bill’s name in the Committee credits. There will be a Pioneers Memorial Page on siggraph.org to highlight contributions and accomplishments of deceased people in the field.
S2006 is going very well. The Hotel pick up is extremely strong and higher in numbers than at this point for S2005; registration is also higher.
2009: New Orleans is being asked to submit a bid. Dependenting upon results from 2006, Boston and/or Orlando will also be asked to submit.
The Keynote Speaker for S2006 has been named. It will be Joe Rohde who is an Executive Designer and Vice President with Walt Disney Imagineering.
A draft revised Contributor Recognition (CR) chart for S2007 forward was presented to the EC. The CAG feels this revision reflects the values and culture of the organization and conference. The EC had some discussion of the various categories and members of those categories. Some comments and suggestions were made on how SV’s are handled in this model. Also, how multiple contributors for the same work/submission are handled? This is a cultural shift and as leaders of the organization we’ll need to communicate this change. Complimentary pases, merchandise, and other issues, will be dealt with in October at the CAG meeting as the second phase of this overhaul.
Jackie White explained to the EC that beginning with the restructuring of the conference programs in S2008, there would not be the traditional panels and courses program chairs to approve. Currently, an EC a policy exists that requires Papers, Panels and Courses program chairs to be approved by the EC. However, the conference chairs are willing to present the entire slate of program “directors” to the EC for review and endorsement.
ACTION ITEM: the CAG would need to present an alternative policy that would address inclusion of this programmatic content.
The second step would be for the CAG to propose to the EC this new procedure for their endorsement. In general the EC was supportive of this concept.
Contracts up for renewal and bidDecorating – General Contractor Services
Conference Database – SIGGRAPH Information System
Jim Kilmer indicated his Conflict of Interest (COI) with the Conference Database RFP and made the EC and CAG aware of his company’s intent to participate in the bid process.
Anyone who is interested in participating on these groups should e-mail Jackie.
The issue was raised about Conference Access Guest Passes for EC members, i. e., should they receive receive 2 passes or 1 pass. In the past it was 2 passes but a couple of years ago this was cut to one pass for budget reasons. It was decided that each EC member for 2006 will receive one Guest Pass to the conference and may request any additional Guest Passes from the President.
Communication Area Update (Haley and Frey)
We are still in the process of migrating to the new servers. Sys manager’s team is currently working on 2 projects for the annual conference. One is real time feedback on sessions from attendees. Another is to log web hits from attendees on-site at the conference to provide data for the promo group’s evaluation.
Web Hosting Policies.
We offer web hosting to chapters, but not to affiliated societies (i.e. ANZGRAPH, SEAGRAPH, etc). Currently we are providing them this hosting space. What action do we want to take? Discussion on why host versus Domain Name redirect.
ACTION ITEM: Mk and Thierry to review current web hosting arrangements and work with ANZGRAPH and SEAGRAPH to inform them that they should find their own ISP and ACM SIGGRAPH will transfer ownership of the domain names and any currently hosted content.
ACTION ITEM: Copies of agreements with other societies need to be archived. We have posted all those we currently have to our web site and we need to ensure that this practice continues.
ACTION ITEM: Alyn Rockwood to review Cooperating Society Agreement and how or whether web hosting should be or not included in this agreement.
Sys Managers is working on implementing social networking software on siggraph.org.
Vice President Issues/ Reports (Rockwood)
Discussion and Review of SIGGRAPH Village and cooperating societies presence in the village. Each organization has different expectations for “space” entitlement per their cooperating society agreement.
Work with Alyn Rockwood and Alain Chesnais to have Eurographics co-sponsored conferences execute a Joint Sponsorship Agreement.
SIGGRAPH Asia Conference: Alyn was approached by leaders from the region to ask the EC if they should further develop a proposal for a SIGGRAPH Asia. The EC was enthusiastic about the possibility and encourages the leaders to develop the proposal for the EC’s discussion and review. The potential impact on branding and quality issues was discussed.
SIGGRAPH AWARD WinnersThomas W. Sederberg-Computer Graphics Achievement Award
Takeo Igarashi-Significant New Researcher Award
John Fujii-Outstanding Service Award
Past President’s Report-Nominating Committee (Chesnais)
Motion (Chesnais, Haley) approve Tony Apodaca as a member of the Nominating Committee: Unanimous
Outgoing Members of the Nominating Committee are Bonnie Mitchell, Scott Lang, and Eugene Fiume.
Motion: (Chesnais, Baylis) Thanks to the outgoing nominating committee form the EC for their hard work and service. Unanimous
Current Members of the Nominating Committee are Nan Schaller, Dena Debry, and Tony Apodaca.
Report from Conference Structure Working Group (Cook)
For S2006 there are 3.5 co-located events.
For S2007 there are potentially 5 co-located events from existing established events and potentially 3 more.
Satellite Web Cast for Remote Conference in Japan
Streaming of major presentations, (keynote, special sessions, etc) Time zones are a challenge. Panel sessions both on-site and virtually from remote locations. Bandwidth is a challenge with this event. Masa has secured a venue at his University for the Japan location. The hope is to expand this activity for 2007.
Conference Committee Structure for S2008/2009: The intent is to organize by content not venue.
Report from Membership Benefits and Programs Group + discussion (Haley)
A proposal was submitted to combine the Professional Chapters and ACM SIGGRAPH membership by creating a new member category: SIGGRAPH Associate member. All chapter members would immediately become associate SIGGRAPH members at no extra cost. An associate member would have reduced benefits compared to a regular member, e. g., no conference discounts and no ACM Digital Library access. The details need to be worked out and a proposal submitted to ACM.
A suggestion was made to create a video or ad spot for membership for S2006 that would play in the time between sessions. Jim Kilmer agreed to do this.
Video Content capture and Display for S2006
We received a proposal from AVW-TELAF that was consideraly less expensive than our other options so we decided to use them.
MOTION: Haley (motion), Baylis (second) Accept the AVW proposal for content capture at S2006. Unanimous (Chesnais, Rockwood, McAfee Absent)
ACTION ITEM: MK will identify a volunteer to work with AVW-TELAF as the point person on permissions and clearances for the project.
Discussion on EC Structure Strategic Working Group (Baylis)
There was further discussion of the Board of Directors idea that was suggested at the March EC meeting (see March 2006 EC Meeting minutes). It was tentatively decided there should be the following officers: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Past President, and five Directors at Large.
For the strategy work, we will continue to work via e-mail and refine the ideas. We will present high level concepts at the Keynote at the SIGGRAPH conference in August and solicit feedback from our members. We will work on these ideas during the fall EC meetings since we will need to have any necessary bylaws changes approved in the next election. Tony will create Timelines and Milestones for the strategy process and implementation.
The ACM SIGGRAPH Annual Report is due to ACM by July 31. All Directors need to send their reports to Scott by July 15 so he can combine them and send on to ACM.
Future EC Meeting ScheduleScott to work with Erica and ACM on location
June 1-3t Co-Located w/ S2007/2008 joint meeting. Perhaps EC comes in Sat Afternoon, Joint Social Saturday Night. All Day mtg Sunday.
Reminder that all the conference schedulers are on line and everyone is expected to sign up for a minimum of 4 hours booth duty at the EC booth.
ACTION Item: Thierry to send out e-mail to committee with the link to the scheduler.
ACTION Item All EC members please send Scott photo of themselves for inclusion in the opening session slides.
Minutes for the November and March EC meetings will be out for approval within the next few weeks.
ACTION ITEM: All EC members should send Jackie White their current understanding of existing CR and justification.
Motion to Adjourn: By Acclamation.