Minutes - EC Conference call on May, 19, 2005
Guests (joined the call at 7:30PM)
Mark Levoy and Joe Marks
The modified minutes from the January 28th conference call were reviewed.
MOTION (White, Baylis) To approve the minutes of the January 28, 2005 conference call.
Motion passed unanimously
A request was made to forward minutes from August 2004 to Mk Haley for posting on the web site.
ACTION: Erica Johnson will forward all minutes to Mk Haley
Systems Managers (Sys Managers) Meeting Update
The Sys Managers team met in New York City at ACM Headquarters with the ACM Information systems (IS) staff in early May. ACM is moving from their current address at 1515 Broadway to another location. The Sys Managers team is comfortable with the dates and timeline as well as preparation and back up for the move. There was a review of MyACM.org, and everyone is excited about this new tool. The team also discussed issues surrounding the conference Electronic Submission (E-Su) system. The Sys Managers team is contacting high level volunteers to determine needs and wants. There are more upgrades in progress, but the Conference Advisory Group (CAG) and the Executive Committee(EC) need to determine the scope of work .The Sys Managers also suggested working with Mike Weil of Hall Erickson, the exhibition management company, to make sure any software or hardware purchases made by ACM SIGGRAPH are from exhibitors at the conference, when possible. Tom Reike, Qltd., has been added to the Sys Managers alias.
There is an initiative to recognize long term membership, Erica is working with ACM IS staff to generate reports so we can evaluate the number of members in various milestone categories and put together a recognition program.
MK Haley is making plans for a member survey in order to evaluate member satisfaction. Alain Chesnais has the action to gather some data from members on the Soma Media project. Mk Haley and Alain will take responsibility for the membership survey.
ACM Branding Initiative
Wayne Graves, ACM IS, is forwarding notes on this effort to Mk Haley for her to review and share with the EC.
Thierry Frey sent a note recently to EC and CAG asking about current archiving projects of ACM SIGGRAPH materials. All EC members are asked to e-mail Thierry with the details and status of archiving projects under their supervision, and Thierry will consolidate this information.
John White, ACM CEO, shared with the Sys Managers group an ACM practice of awarding free membership to students who are winners of various contests or competitions. Mk Haley will put in place a pilot program for Fiscal Year 2006 to award all accepted Student Volunteers (SV’s) free ACM SIGGRAPH student membership for one year. Any expenses associated with this program will be absorbed by the ACM SIGGRAPH Organization. all SV’s selected for SIGGRAPH 2005 will receive a free student membership for the year. A request was made to extend this to Education Committee Student Poster Competition winners. If this program is continued after the first year, anyone who has received a free membership under this program is still eligible to receive one in subsequent years.
Masa Inakage and FranMcAfee joined the call at this point.
Alain Chesnais reviewed the guest pass information for SIGGRAPH 2005. Each EC member receives one guest pass to allocate.. Additional guest passes are available as per individual budgets. EC members are requested to copy Alain on all requests to Capstone for EC guest passes. There’s no deadline, but the sooner this is done,the better. EC members will also receive 20 Exhibits Plus passes to distribute at their discretion and should send Dino Schweitzer their preferred address for mailing these passes.
SIGGRAPH 2007 Papers Chair
Joe Marks, S2007 Conference Chair presented Mark Levoy as the candidate for S2007 Papers Chair. Everyone had received Mark’s resume and accomplishments. Mark presented his vision for the S2007 Papers Program and answered questions from the group.
MOTION (White, Cook) To accept Mark Levoy as S2007 papers Chair.
Motion passed unanimously.
Mark Levoy and Joe Marks left the call.
SOMA Media Update
Terms have been negotiated for a part revenue/part flat fee contract. This will help minimize the direct risk to the organization for the entire cost. Discussions are continuing with CAG on possibly including the DVD in the Full Conference Registration Materials.
Alain is working with Dino to conduct a survey of the Full Conference attendees to determine the level of interest in this type of product. There are concerns about raising registration fees to include this in the package We hope to find a model where we can continue to provide this content and keep direct expense to the organization as low as possible.
Financial Practices for the Organization
Tony Baylis asked for input from the EC on what type of information they would find useful in this type of document. EC members should forward comments and ideas to Tony. The goal is for this to be a living document that can be used by new and existing EC members to help them understand the ACM SIGGRAPH organization finances, budgeting practices, and financial policies.
Traveling Art Show
We’ve transferred the materials and artwork from Cooke’s to Fine Art shipping, and we are working on getting all works from 1995-2003 back to artists. We’re making progress and estimated return costs are now projected at less than we initially thought. For the 2005 show and into the future, we have put procedures in place to expedite the return of works to the artists so that we’re not storing works indefinitely.
Alain thanked everyone for participating in the call. The next conference call is scheduled for Thursday, June 19, 2005 at 6:00PM Eastern Time.
The call adjourned at 8:10PM