Minutes - EC Conference Call for June 16, 2005
Minutes from the from the June 16, 2005 EC Conference Call
The call was called to order at 6:05PM
Review of the minutes of 5/19/2005 conference call. The EC will review via e-mail and forward additional comments via e-mail. Erica will ping the group in one week to call for a vote on the minutes.
A proposal for the ACM-SIGGRAPH endorsement of “The History of Computer Graphics”; a new book by Terrence Masson. Was brought forth by Stephen Spencer. There were questions about who the publisher would be. Is ACM going to publish? The answer at this point is unknown. The group felt that we should encourage the author to seek feedback from other people in the community like the ACM SIGGRAPH Pioneers. The group is not sure what is being asked of ACM SIGGRAPH in the way of “endorsement” The EC feels uncomfortable endorsing an “unknown”. The EC discussed the proposal and felt it is an interesting idea. There is a fair amount of source material available that if the author was interested, ACM SIGGRAPH would be glad to make this source material available.
Judy Brown has some material she will forward to HQ for archival (the “Milestones” and a written report).
Erica will scan the written report and distribute to the EC and the EC will determine weather or not to archive or post anywhere.
Alain will follow up with John Hart, Joan Collins and Carl Machover to see where source material from the Story of CG is being stored and make that material available to researchers if they are interested.
Scott Owen, President Elect, reviewed some of his plans for his term. Chapters and Communications issues are some highlights.
RSS Feeds and policies surrounding our usage of this type of material are also going to be addresses. He looks forward to working with the EC and meeting with everyone on site at the conference to discuss their plans and goals for the coming years.
Close of the ACM Fiscal Year. Erica reminded everyone that the close of FY 05 is approaching. The closing date is June 30, 2005. Anyone with outstanding expense that need to be reimbursed should send them in to Erica’s attention at ACM HQ by the June 30th deadline. Also, if you know of expenses that have been incurred but not yet billed, please send an e-mail to Erica with this information so that she can accrue the expense for future posting.
Traveling Art Show
Moved from Cooke’s Crating to Fine Art Shipping as the shipping and warehouse vendor and are working to get all the pieces from 2003 and earlier that are in the organizations care, back to the artists as soon as possible. For 2005 and forward new procedures have been put in place to make this program more efficient. Fran will put together a budget proposal for the work being done to return the backlog of prior works currently in storage and submit it to the EC for the next conference call or the face to face meeting. This budget request will be for FY 06.
No tag line. Bracelets (rubber ala Lance Armstrong) and themes printed on the bracelets will be the feature organizational giveaway this year at the conference. Goal is also to partner with ACM in their branding initiative work.
No conference calls for July currently scheduled. Scott will e-mail the group if this changes. Next meeting is a face to face meeting at the conference on the Friday after the conference. We’re hoping to limit the agenda to a half day meeting starting at 9:00AM or 9:30 AM with a working lunch. More details will follow as we get closer to the conference.
Alain thanks everyone for their participation and looks forward to seeing everyone at the conference.
The EC expressed their thanks to Barb and Judy for their service as this is their last conference call. The call was adjourned at 6:50PM.